Add a theme to your WordPress website to change its look and feel
Now you’ve got that website cooking and it’s almost ready.
In this guide we’ll show you how to put the finishing touches on your new website by installing the theme. The WordPress theme is like the icing on the cake or a savory sauce in your stir-fry. It’s what gives you that unique look and feel that you can customize yourself for your own unique brand.
If you don’t have a domain or hosting yet, see this guide first to get started.
To save you time, we have tried hundreds of themes and layouts and recommend the Divi theme. The Divi theme not only contains several pre-made layouts to choose from, but also has a drag-and-drop builder that lets you configure your own layout without needing to know how to code. Divi also has excellent support so you can ask any question from how to install the theme to how to create custom configurations for your site.
Divi is a premium WordPress theme made by Elegant Themes. It costs a small fee to download and get a year’s worth of updates. Well worth it in our opinion so you know your WordPress theme is safe, secure, and will keep on working with future WordPress platform updates. For all the reasons why we recommend the Divi theme instead of a free theme, please check out our Questions page.
Ready? Let’s get started.
Open up your web browser and go to the Elegant Themes website here to purchase the Divi theme*.
* This is an affiliate link. By purchasing through this link, we get a commission. It helps us keep this site up and running and a great way to say Thank You for providing the content on this site.
- Choose the “Join to Download” button at the top of the page.
- Choose the “Sign Up Today” button under the Personal category. For more information on the other Divi purchase options, check out our Questions page.
- Next, enter account information and select the “Next Step” button..
- Choose your payment method and select the “Next Step” button.
- Confirm your payment method and select the “Proceed to Payment” button.
- Enter your payment info and select the “Save” button.
- Now, enter your new login name and password.
On the Members Area page, scroll down to Theme Downloads and select the “download” link under the Divi category to save the Divi theme file to your computer.
Make sure to choose the Divi download link under Theme Downloads and not the Divi Builder download under Plugin Downloads. For more information on the Divi theme versus the other available theme downloads, please check out our Questions page.
Ok, you’ve got your new theme. Let’s install it on your WordPress website.
- Go back to the browser tab/window with your WordPress dashboard open.
- On the left-hand side of the page select Appearance and then Themes.
- Select the “Add New” button at the top and then the “Upload Theme” button.
- Choose your newly downloaded Divi file that you just downloaded to your computer.
- Then select the “Install Now” button.
- Select “Activate.”
Here is a great one minute video tutorial that shows how to install your Divi theme:
You are now ready to configure the theme, create your posts and pages, and grow your website.
If you just want to get a basic one-page website up and running quickly, follow these steps:
- In your WordPress dashboard select Pages > Add New.
- Enter a title for your new page.
- Select the Use The Divi Builder Button.
- Then select Load from Library and choose a predefined layout from the list.
- Select the Load button and then choose Publish.
- Now go to Settings > Reading.
- Under the Front page displays section, choose the page you just created from the Front page dropdown list.
That was easy! Now you can go back and edit your page and share your website.
For a more extensive set of video tutorials on the Divi theme, check out the Divi YouTube channel here: